DVM, Master 2 Research (France), PhD (France), Honorary Doctorate (France)
Department of Parasitology
University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences,
54000, Lahore, Pakistan.
Dr Haroon Akbar is currently working as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Parasitology. He graduated as a veterinarian from College of Veterinary Sciences, Lahore in 2001 with a distinction. He earned a state of the art experience in clinical and extension services while working for about two and a half years in the Brooke Hospital for Animals, Pakistan. He has treated a great number of animals at outdoor and indoor clinics while working in the Brooke Hospital for Animals. He has also provided extension services to the animal owners and other stake holders involved in this profession. In 2004 he was selected as a Lecturer in Department of Parasitology. In 2006, he was awarded with an HEC’s grant worth millions of rupees for higher studies abroad in a technically advanced country, France where he remained a full time researcher in highly advanced french laboratories for more than five years. He earned his Masters and Doctorate degrees during his stay in France. He was awarded with the best grade for a PhD in France i.e. Very honorable with congratulations (Très honorable avec félicitations). He has also won the best oral presentation award while presenting his PhD work in France. He also has been awarded with an honorary degree of Doctorate in the Life and Health Sciences. He can communicate in English, French, Urdu and Punjabi.
Honorary Degree of Doctorate in Life and Health Sciences, from Université François Rabelais de Tours, France
- PhD with best note in France “Très honorable avec félicitations du jury” (Very honorable with congratulations).
- Best Oral Presentation Award at Doctoral School of Health, Science and Technology, Université François Rabelais de Tours, France
- Third Position in DVM (Doctor of Veterinary Medicine), College of Veterinary Sciences (CVS), Lahore, Pakistan
- Shared second position in Department of Physiology and Biochemistry, CVS, Lahore, Pakistan
- First Position in Matriculation Examination, Govt. Higher Secondary School, Gujranwala, Pakistan
Area of Interest
- Parasitic Immunology
- Diagnostic and Molecular Parasitology
- H. Akbar, C. Pinçon, CM Aliouat, S. Derouiche, ML Taylor et al. “Characterizing Pneumocystis in the lungs of bats: understanding Pneumocystis Evolution and Spread of Pneumocystis organisms in mammal populations” accepted in Applied and Environmental Microbiology (Impact factor: 3.829).
- H. Akbar, S. Germon, P. Berthon, I. Dimier-Poisson, N. Moiré. Depletion of CD25+ cells during acute toxoplasmosis does not significantly increase mortality in Swiss OF1 mice. Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz, Vol.107 (2): 155-162, Mar, 2012 (Impact factor: 2.15).
- I. Rashid, H. Akbar, W. Shehzad, K. Ashraf, N. Ahmad, M. Lateef, A. Maqbool, M. Oneeb, and K. Saeed. Prophylactic efficacies of the locally prepared Eimeria tenella vaccine in broiler chicken. J. Vet. Anim. Sci. Vol. 2:47-51, 2012.
- S. Derouiche, M. Deville, M.L. Taylor, H. Akbar et al. Pneumocytsis diversity as a phylogeographic tool. Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz, Vol.104 (1): 112-117, Feb, 2009 (Impact factor: 2.15).
- M. I. Rashid, H. Akbar, M.A. Al-Araby, A.B. Ismael, W. Shehzad, K. Ashraf and H.A. Hashmi Comparative efficacy of different toltrazuril doses against coccidiosis in broiler chickens. Mansoura, Vet. Med. J., Vol. XI, No. 2: 173-184. 2009.
- Haroon AKBAR*, Stéphanie GERMON, Nathalie MOIRÉ, Isabelle DIMIER-POISSON. CD4+CD25+ T cells in acute Toxoplasmosis, are necessary for the survival of resistant mice? 19-23 June, 2009. 10th International Meeting on Toxoplasmosis, Kerkrade, Holland
- Haroon AKBAR*, Stéphanie GERMON, Nathalie MOIRÉ, Isabelle DIMIER-POISSON. Regulation of Immune Response during Toxoplasmosis 17 June, 2009. Forum de L’Ecole Doctorale de Santé, Sciences et Technologies de Tours, France
- Akbar H1, Aliouat CM1, Derouiche S1, Taylor ML2, Chabe M1, Carreto-Binaghi LE2, Courpon A1, Aliouat EM1, Dei-Cas E3, Demanche C. Prevalence of Pneumocystis in Bats. 28-31 May, 2008. 10th Internatinal Workshop on Opportunistic Protitsts (IWOP10), Boston, USA.
- Demanche Christine1, Akbar Haroon1, Aliouat Cécile-Marie1, Deville Manjula2, Aliouat El Moukhtar1, Dei-Cas Eduardo3, Guillot Jacques. Can we use Pneumocystis fungi as markers of mammalian evolution ? 19 -21 Sep. 2007. 11th International Meeting on Evolutionary Biology
- Marseille, France.
- Haroon AKBAR*, Stéphanie GERMON, Nathalie MOIRE, Isabelle DIMIER-POISSON. Depletion of CD25+ cells during acute Toxoplasmosis results in fatal outcome in resistant mice. 01-06 March, 2009. Regulatory T Cells Conference, Keystone Resort, Keystone, Colorado, USA.
- Isolation and Identification of Ectoparasites in the manual for Workshop by Department of Pathology and Parasitology for B.S (Hons) Microbiology, July 2012
French Theses Articles:
- H. Akbar, I. Dimier-Poisson, N. Moiré. Role of Treg cells during toxoplasmosis. UMR0483-Université-INRA Laboratoire d’Immunologie Parasitaire, Vaccinologie et Biothérapies Anti-Infectieuses, Faculté de Pharmacie, Université François Rabelais de Tours, Tours, France. A part of French PhD thesis 2011.
- H. Akbar, S. Germon, I. Dimier-Poisson, N. Moiré. Ammonium-sulfate-precipitated rat IgG hydridoma supernatant can cause hemorrhagic ileitis in OF1 mice infected by Toxoplasma gondii. UMR0483-Université-INRA Laboratoire d’Immunologie Parasitaire, Vaccinologie et Biothérapies Anti-Infectieuses, Faculté de Pharmacie, Université François Rabelais de Tours, Tours, France. A part of French PhD thesis 2011.
- D. Hedhli, N. Moiré, I. Dimier-Poisson, F. Laurent, H. Akbar, M. N. Mévélec. “Evaluation of protective effect of DNA vaccines encoding the T. gondii profilin against chronical infection in mice.” UMR0483-Université-INRA Laboratoire d’Immunologie Parasitaire, Vaccinologie et Biothérapies Anti-Infectieuses, Faculté de Pharmacie, Université François Rabelais de Tours, Tours, France. A part of French PhD thesis 2008.
- Ethiques en expérimentation animale 22-24 Nov. 2010, INRA, Tours, France
- Initiation à la Prévention des Risques 26-27 Feb 2008, Université François Rabelais de Tours, France.
- Hygiène et Sécurité Initiation à la Prévention 9-10 November 2006 Institut Nationale de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale (INSERM), Lille, France.
- “Strategic Planning for Effective Communication & Extension Education” at Brooke Hospital for Animals, Pakistan 24-26 Feb. 2004.
- “Intensive AVO (Apprentice Veterinary Officer) Training Course” at Static Clinic Brooke Hospital for Animals Lahore Pakistan 20 to 31 May 2002
- “Workshop on Pharmacokinetics” in College of Veterinary Sciences (presently known as Faculty of Veterinary Sciences, University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Lahore), Lahore, Pakistan
Participation in different projects:
- “Epidemiology of Endoparasites (Nematodes) of Equines (Horses) of Lahore” under supervision of Prof. Dr. H. A. Hashmi and in collaboration with Brooke Hospital for Animals, Pakistan at Faculty of Veterinary Sciences, University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Lahore, Pakistan 2004-2005.
- “Evaluation of Different Preventive Measures against Caecal Coccidiosis in Poultry” under supervision of Prof. Dr. H. A. Hashmi at Faculty of Veterinary Sciences, University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Lahore, Pakistan 2006.
HEC approved supervisor