Prof. Dr. Muhammad Ovais Omer
DVM (CVS, UAF), M.Sc. (CVS, UAF), PhD (UVAS)
HEC Approved Supervisor.
Tel : 92-42-99213661, 92-42-99211374, 99211449 Ext. 240
Prof. Dr. Muhammad Ovais Omer, served the Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, UVAS as Chairman for three years and having a basic degree of DVM. In Postgraduate degrees, he has earned M.Sc. (Hons.) degree in Veterinary Pharmacology from former College of Veterinary Sciences, Lahore affiliated with University of Agriculture, Faisalabad, Pakistan and Ph.D. in Pharmacology and Toxicology from University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Lahore, Pakistan. He has over 22 years of teaching, research and administration experience. He was member of the committee who was notified for up gradation of College of Veterinary Sciences, Lahore and developed first PC-I of UVAS. He has supervised over 13 post graduate students and served as member of supervisory committees for more than 60 students and published more than 25 research papers in International or National refereed scientific journals. Dr. Ovais, presented papers in many national conferences. He has attended many International and National Conferences, Symposia and Seminars. He is member of Faculty Board of Study of Faculty of Bio-Sciences and Ex-member of Faculty of Animal Product and Technology, and Ex-Chairman, Departmental (Pharmacology and Toxicology) Board of Study, UVAS, Lahore. Life Member of Pakistan Veterinary Medical Council, Society of Pharmacology (UVAS), Society of Physiology and Society of Parasitology (UVAS).Ex-Joint Secretary, Academic Staff Association (UVAS). He served the Lahore Zoo as member of Zoo Health Committee of UVAS. He has attended scientific trainings from South Korea, NIBGE, HEC and Makkah Mukarramah etc., and has several certificates in his credit. He was the first Associate Senior Tutor and the General Secretary, Alumni Association of UVAS. He is also the life member of Alumni Association of the university. Now a days he is working as Director Students’ Affairs, member Sports Board of the University and member/secretary of Discipline Committee of the University. He served Umm Al-Qura University as Assistant Professor in the Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, College of Pharmacy, Makkah Mukarramah, Saudi Arabia. He is having throughout First divisions in his career. He has certificate of Merit and Star Laureate Award 2009 in his credit. He served the university as a member of several technical bodies such as advance study and research board, academic council and student advisory committees of the university. He is the member of selection board of other universities. He is the external examiner of many renowned universities and serving the private universities as member faculty board of studies. He upgraded the undergraduate and postgraduate laboratories in the department during his tenure as Chairman of the department and his main focus was to facilitate the scholars or researchers of UVAS or other institutes in their activities. He renovated the lecture room and the seminar room of the university in his chairmanship. He also developed a new postgraduate laboratory in the department with latest equipments/instruments and facilities.
Worked as Chairman, Departmental Board of Studies, Departmental Postgraduate Admission Committee and Faculty Scrutiny Committee (FSC) for PhD synopses of FBS.
Dr. Ovais is effectively providing his technical services as supervisor and member of a large number of M. Phil and PhD scholars and playing his role in nation building and is also involved to teach undergraduate students.
Area of Interest
- Pharmacology, Toxicology, Angiogenesis, Ethnomedicine.
Research Papers Published In Pakistan:
- Ghazala Rafique, Allah Bukhsh, Asif Gul, Sonia Khiljee, Muhammad Ashraf and Muhammad Ovais Omer.Hematologic adverse effects and efficacy monitoring in chronic hepatitis C patients treated with interferon and ribavirin combination therapy. Published in Pakistan Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences (Pak. J. Pharm. Sci.,) Vol.30, No.1, 2017, pp.011-016
- Shahrukh Ali, Muhammad Ovais Omer, Mueen Ahmad Chaudhry, Muhammad Ashraf, Allah Bukhsh.A pharmacological evidence for the presence of antihistaminic and anticholinergic activities of Equisetum debileRoxb. Indian Journal of Pharmacology. Vol. 49 No. 1, 2017: 98-101
- Hassan M Qureshi, Muhammad O Omer, M Ashraf, A Bukhsh, Mueen A Chaudhry and Muhammad Saeed Imran. Evaluation of Antihistaminic and Anticholinergic Activities of Murraya koenigii Linn. Pak Vet J. 2014. 2015, 35(2): 242-244.
- M. Q. Zeshan, M. Ashraf, M. O. Omer, H. M. Khan, M. A. Ali and A. A. Anjum. Efficacy of anti-bacterial compounds and plant extracts against methicillin resistant staphylococcus aureus isolates from nosocomial infections. The Journal of Animal and Plant Sciences, 24 (4): 2015.
- N. Ahmad, A. Ali, M. Abdullah, A. Khalique, K. Javed, J. A. Bhatti, S. Ahmad, Saima, Z. Iqbal, M. O. Omer, U. Younas, Z. M. Iqbal, K. M. Anjum, T. Hussain and F. Shahzad. Effect of feeding frequency on the growth performance of Beetal Goat Kids during Winter season. The Journal of Animal and Plant Sciences, 24 (Suppl. 1): 2014, Page: 436-439.
- Alamgeer, M. Rashid, M. N. Mushtaq, M. N. H. Malik, S. A. Ghumman, M. Numan, A. Q. Khan, M. O. Omer and H. M. Tahir. Pharmacological evaluation of antidiabetic effect of ethyl acetate extract of Teucrium Stocksianum Boiss in alloxan induced diabetic rabbits. The Journal of Animal and Plant Sciences, 23 (2): 2013, Page: 436-439.
- Rasheed M. A., M. Ashraf, M. O. Omer and S. Khan. Pharmacokinetics of long acting amoxicillins in buffalo calves in Pakistan. The Journal of Animal and Plant Sciences, 23 (1 Suppl.): 2013, Page: 1-4.
- Qudus, M. A., N. Ahmad, K. Javed, M. Abdullah, M. A. Jabbar, M. O. Omer, Z. M. Iqbal and I. Ahmad. Effect of recombinant bovine somatotropin on milk production and composition of lactating beetal goats. The Journal of Animal and Plant Sciences, 23 (1 Suppl.): 2013, Page: 26-30.
- M. O. Omer, M. Ashraf, A. Javeed and A. Maqbool. Immunostimulatory effect of ivermectin on macrophage engulfment and delayed type hypersensitivity in broilers. the Journal of Animal and Plant Sciences. Volume 22, Number 2, 2012.
- Taha nazir, Mazhar Mustafa, Habib Ur Rehman and Owais Omar. Basopenia induction by Vinorelbine alone and in combination with Doxorubicin and Cisplatin in Cancer patients. Gomal University Journal of Research. 2011.
- Bilal Ashiq, Muhammad Usman, Muhammad Ashraf, Ovais Omer, Muhammad Imran Khokhar and Syed Saeed-ul-Hassan. Comparative Pharmacokinetics of Metronidazole in healthy volunteers and in Patients suffering from Amoebiasis. Pak. J. Pharm. 24 (1 and 2) 41-46, 2011.
- Tahir Mahmood Shaukat, Muhammad Ashraf, Muhammad Ovais Omer, Muhammad Adil Rasheed, Khushi Muhammad, Tariq Mahmood Shaukat, Muhammad Younus and Muhammad Khurram Shahzad. Comparative efficacy of various antiviral agents against avian influenza virus. Pakistan Journal of Zoology Volume 42, Number 4, 2011.
- Asif Farooq Awan, Taha Nazir, Muhammad Ashraf, Owais Omer and Habib Ur Rehman. Studies of Ketoprofen toxicity in avian species. Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences. Volume 7, Number 2. 2011.
- Asif farooq Awan, Taha Nazir, Muhammad Ashraf, Owais Umer and Habib ur Rehman. Study of Phenylbutazone toxicity in avian species. Pak. J. Pharm. Volume 16-20, Number 1 and 2. 2010.
- Shoaib Ashraf, Awais Omer, Muhammad Ijaz, Umer Naveed Chaudry and Muhammad Muddassir Ali. Efficacy of Florfenicol against Haemorrhagic Septicaemia in Buffalo Calves. Pakistan Journal of Zoology, 2009 (Supplementary Series).
- A. Javeed, M. Ashraf, M. O. Omer and A. Ghafoor. Effect of Diclofenac Sodium on experimentally induced Aseptic Arthritis in Equines. Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences. Vol. 57 No.3-4. Pages 148-151. December 2005.
- U. F. Durrani, M. Ashraf, M. A. Khan, A. Khalid and M.O. Omer. Role of Alpha-2-Adrenocepter Agonist as Sedative and Analgesic in Budgerigars. . Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences. Vol. 57 No.3-4. Pages 148-151. September 2005.
- M. O. Omer, M. Ashraf and M. Azeem. Effect of Herbal Diuretics on Serum Sodium and Serum Potassium in the Broilers. Pakistan Journal of Science, 55(3-4) Pages 85-87. 2003.
- M. O. Omer, M. Sabir, M. R. Ali and H. A. Hashmi. Effect of herbal diuretics on total serum protein, blood urea nitrogen and dropping’s moisture percentage of the broilers. Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences. 3(6). Pages 975-976. 2000.
- M. Azeem, M. Razzaq Ali, M. Sabir, M. Ovais Omer and H.A. Hashmi. Protective Effect of Diltiazem Hydrochloride on occurrence of Alloxan induced Diabetes in Rabbits. Biologia. Vol. 45 No.2, 1999.
- Muhammad Sabir, Muhammad Sharif, Mughal, Komal Mughal, Muhammad Razzaq Ali and Muhammad Ovais Omer. Modulation of hematological parameters by Sphaeranthus hirtus in broilers. Biology, 41 (2) Pages 139-143. 1995
Research Papers Published Out of Pakistan:
- Shahzad Asghar, Muhammad Shahzad Aslam, Muhammad Ashraf, Muhammad Ovais Omer and Habib Ur Rehman. A review on angiogenesis and its consequence on Vitis vinifera (Grapes). Indian Research Journal of Pharmacy and Science. 2014: 1(2). 51-64.
- Umber Saleem, Sohail Ejaz, Muhammad Ashraf, Muhammad Ovais Omer, Imran Altaf, Zainab Batool, Riffat Fatima, Msbah Afzal. Mutagenic and cytotoxic potential of Endosulfan and Lambda-cyhalothrin - In vitro study describing individual and combined effects of pesticides. Journal of Environmental Sciences, 26 (2014). 1471-1479.
- Muhammad Ovais Omer, Waleed Hassan AlMalki, Imran Shahid, Shehzada Khurram, Imran Altaf and Saeed Imran. Comparative study to evaluate the anti-viral efficacy of Glycyrrhiza glabra extract and ribavirin against the Newcastle disease virus. Pharmacognosy Research. Vol. 6; Issue 1; 6-11. 2014.
- Ghulam Jilany Khan, Muhammad Ovais Omer, Muhammad Ahsraf, Habib Ur Rehaman and Zaheer Ud Din Khan. Effect of Punica granatum (Pomegranate) fruit extract on angiogenesis.J. App Pharm Vol. 5; Issue 3; 764-780, 2013.
- Sadia Abrar, Muhammad Ovais Omer, Muhammad Ashraf and Iradat Hussain. A novel image probing system (SPIP) for the assessment and quantification of structural changes in chorioallantoic membrane (CAM) caused by the strawberry juice. Can J App Sci; 1(2):68-81, 2011.
- Muhammad Usman, Muhammad Ashraf, Muhammad Imran Khokhar, Bilal Ashiq, Muhammad Irfan Masood, Sheryal Afzal, Ovais Omer, Moshin Ali and M. Imran. Comparative Pharmacokinetics of Levofloxacin in Healthy Volunteers and in Patients Suffering from Typhoid Fever. Iranian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research (2013), 12 (1): 147-154.
- Iradat Hussain, Muhammad Ovais Omer, Muhammad Ashraf, Habib-ur- Rehman. The effect of Diclofenac sodium on Angiogenesis using chorioallantoic membrane (CAM) assay. J App Pharm. Volume 3, Number 3. 2011. Canada.
- Taha Nazir, Habib-Ur-Rehman, Owais Omer, Tahir Aziz Mughal. Neutropenia induction by vinorelbine alone and in combination with doxorubicin and cisplatin in cancer patients. HealthMED. Volume 5, Number 3. 2011.
- Taha Nazir, Mustafa M. Abraham S. Ashraf M. Umer M. O. Hashmi K. F. Taha N and Zafar M. S. Thrombocytopenia induced by Vinorelbine, Doxorubicin and Cisplatin in human cancer patients. J App Pharm 1 (1):15-19 (2009). Journal of Applied Pharmacy 17-3835 Luther Pl Saskatoon SK Canada S7H 4B1.
- Asif Farooq Awan, Muhammad Ashraf, Owais Umer, Taha Nazir, Muhammad Shoib Akhtar, Habib Ur Rehman. Studies of Dipyrone (Metamizole Sodium) toxicity in avian species. J App Pharm 1 (1):1-6 (2009) Journal of Applied Pharmacy 17-3835 Luther Pl Saskatoon SK Canada S7H.
- Hafiz Muhammad Irfan, Muhammad Ovais Omer, Muhammad Ashraf, Azhar Maqbool. Effect of Levamisole on Cholinesterase inhibition in rabbits. J. Vet. Parasitol. 22(2) 2008. India.