Dr Raheela Akhtar
DVM (Silver medalist), SOP (Gold medalist), M.Phil (Silver medalist), PhD (UVAS and University
of Michigan, USA)
Assistant Professor (TTS)
HEC Approved supervisor
Dr Raheela is working as an Assistant Professor (TTS) in Department of Pathology, UVAS, Lahore, Pakistan. She joined department of Pathology in 2005 as a teaching assistant. She was first female in UVAS to win HEC indigenous scholarship for her PhD studies. Later she also won HEC-IRSIP scholarship for her PhD research and conducted her research in University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA that is among top 10 universities of the world. She presented her work in four countries and was the first Pakistani ever to win G.P Sen Young Scientist award in 2008 from India. After accomplishig her PhD at very young age of 28 she was keen to establish a lab at department of Pathology. She upgraded hematology lab at Department of Pathology and is currently supervising molecular diagnostic lab at Department of Pathology, UVAS. She introduced new techniques of LPS extraction and purification, isolation and culturing of immune cells and RFLP at the department. Currently she has one HEC funded ongoing project on brucellosis and one is recently approved by ALP. Dr Raheela has 7 international and 3 national publications.
Areas of interest
- Effect of Smooth and Rough Strain Brucella abortus Lipopolysaccharides on Immune Stimulation of Bovines.
- Comparative evaluation of serological tests and Polymerase chain reaction for diagnosis of bovine brucellosis.
- Molecular characterization of Brucella abortus strains in bovines.
- Isolation and Identification of Brucella melitensis from aborted bovine samples using AMOS PCR and Immunohistochemistry.
- Distribution and Localization of Brucella melitensis in aborted fetal tissues of small ruminants
- Effect of Smooth and Rough Strain Brucella abortus LPS (Lipopolysaccharides) on Immune Stimulation of Bovines.VDM Verlag Dr. Muller GmbH & Co. KG.2011.
- Dr Raheela Akhtar, DR Gulbeena Saleem, Prof. Dr. Asim Aslam Prof Dr Muhammad Younus Dr Qamar Un Nisa (2014). “MANUAL OF FOOD BORNE DISEASES IN PAKISTAN”-Published by: Pak Book Corp. ISBN No.978-969-7517-08-4.
- M. Younus, T. Abbas, M. Zafar, S. Raza, A. Khan, A.H. Saleem, M.A. Idrees, Q.U. Nisa, R. Akhtar & G. Saleem. 2016. Assessment of heavy metal contamination in raw milk for human consumption. South African Journal of Animal Sciences. ISSN: 0375- 1589 (print) ISSN: 2221-4062 (online) 46(2): 1-4. IMPACT FACTOR: 0.504.
- Muhammad Umair Khan, Saher Islam, Amna Arshad Bajwa, Imran Rashid Raheela Akhtar*, Haroon Akbar, Wasim Shehzad and Muhammad Lateef. 2016. Optimization of single step multiplex PCR for detection of Eimeria tenella and Eimeria necatrix from commercial broilers. Indian Journal of Animal Sciences 86 (6): 671–672. IMACT FACTOR: 0.1.
- Raheela Akhtar͙* Iahtasham Khan,, Falk Melzer, Heinrich Neubauer, Aftab Ahmad Anjum, Muhammad Younus, Asim Aslam, Sadaf Imran. 2016. Differential anti-Brucella activity of bovine and murine macrophages. Indian Journal of Experimental Biology. 54: 452-456.
- Gulbeena saleem, Rukhshanda Ramzaan, Farina Malik Khattak, Raheela Akhtar. 2016. Effects of acetic acid supplementation in broiler chickens orally challenged with Salmonella pullorum. Turkish Journal of Veterinary and Animal Sciences. doi:10.3906/vet-1505-66.
- F. Akhtar , M. Rabbani , K. Muhammad, M. Younus, A. A. Sheikh, R. Akhtar, J. Muhammad and A. Rasool. 2016. Phylogenetic grouping of the pathogenic E. Coli isolated from commercial broiler chicken in Pakistan. The Journal of Animal & Plant Sciences, 26(5): 1242-1246. IF 0.422.
- M.Younus, T.Abbas, M.Zafar, S.Raza, A.Khan, I.Khan, M.A.Idress, Q U Nisa, R. Akhtar, G.Saleem. 2017. Quantification of enrofloxacin residues in broiler chicken tissues usingcompetitive enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay. Indian Journal of Animal Sciences, 87(5) 123-00. IF 0.174.
- R Akhtar*, MN Anwar, I Khan, H El-Adawy, A Aslam, G Mustafa, SF Rehmani, MZ Saleem, Sarwat Naz. 2017. Pathological Investigations of Organ Affinity of Brucella Species and their Cross Species Transmission. Pakistan Veterinary Journal. IF: 0.813
- M Younus, T Abbas, M Zafar, S Raza, A Khan, I Khan, M A Idrees, Q U Nisa, R Akhtar and G Saleem. 2017. Quantification of enrofloxacin residues in broiler chicken tissues using competitive enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay. Indian Journal of Animal Sciences 87 (5): 659–661, May 2017/Short communication. IF: 0.185.
- Akhtar, R., Z. I. Chaudhary., A.R. Shakoori and A. Aslam. (2010). Comparative efficacy of conventional diagnostic methods and evaluation of polymerase chain reaction (PCR) for the diagnosis of bovine brucellosis. Veterinary World. 3(2): 53-56.
- Akhtar, R., Z. I. Chaudhary and Y.O. He. (2010). Modified method for isolation of peripheral blood neutrophils from bovines and humans. IJAVMS. 4(2010): 8-14.
- Akhtar, R., Z.I. Chaudhary., N. Mehmmod., G.Mustafa and M.F. Raja. (2010). Molecular epidemiology and associated risks of bovine brucellosis in Punjab, Pakistan: An updated look. WASET. 6(69): 1507-1531.
- Afzal, M.N., R. Akhtar., M. F. Afzal., S.Naeem., I.H.Qureshi., A.Hanif., N.Chishti.2011. Identification of cases by non-microscopic rapid diagnostic test in suspected malaria infection in community setting. Annals of KEMU, Lahore, Vol 17(4): 352-355.
- Akhtar, R., Y.O.He., C.B.Larson., Z.I.Chaudhary and M.D.Ahmad. 2012. Differential stimulatory activities of smooth and rough Brucella abortus lipopolysaccharides in murine macrophages. Pakistan Veterinary Journal 32(3): 339-344. Imapct factor 1.365.
- Singh, A.K., S.M.J Iqbal., R. Akhtar., M.F.Afzal., M.A. Sultan.2012. Placebo controlled trial of zinc supplementation on duration of hospital stay in children with pneumonia. Annals of KEMU. Vol 18(4): 365-367.
- Shaukat Ali, Raheela Akhtar, Muhammad Younus, Gulbeena Saleem, Qamar Un Nisa and Beenish Zahid. 2014. Comparative trends of bovine tuberculosis in cattle and buffalo population around Lahore, Pakistan. European Journal of Environmental Ecology. 2014; 1:(1):7-11.
- Ahmad Naeem Sajed, Sana khan, Aneeqa Shamshad Butt, Abid Srwar, Dr. Raheela Akhtar, Dr. Imran Ahmad, Muhammad Naeem Mukhtar, Dr. Sadaf Imran, Dr. Hamid Akbar, Shan Ali, Muhammad Usman. Rapid detection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis and Rifampicin Resistance in extra pulmonary samples using Gene Xpert MTB/RIF assay. IOSR Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences (IOSR-JDMS). e-ISSN: 2279-0853, p-ISSN: 2279-0861.Volume 13, Issue 11 Ver. IV (Nov. 2014), PP 50-53. IMPACT FACTOR: 1.576
- R. Akhtar, M. Sardar, N. Saima, G. Saleem, S. Imran and A. Aslam. Responses of Nili-Ravi buffalo to aflatoxin B1 with and without toxin adsorbents. Journal of Animal and Feed Sciences, 23, 2014, 317–323. IMPACT FACTOR: 0.639
- Muhammad Younus, Raheela Akhtar and Shaukat Ali. 2015. Comparative lethality of Salmonella Enteritidis and Salmonella Typhimurium in broiler chickens. Indian Journal of Animal Sciences 85 (5): 472–474. IMPACT FACTOR 0.1
- Akhtar, R., Z.I Chaudhary, A.R.Shakoori. A.Aslam and M.U Ahmad. Comparative studies on the sensitivity of Polymerase chain reaction and conventional diagnostic methods for the diagnosis of bovine brucellosis (Abstract in Global Meet on Veterinary Public Health and symposium on “New horizons in food security with special reference to veterinary public health and hygiene- evolving strategies with global perspective” Nov 2008.
- Mushtaq, I., A. Aslam., M. Y. Rana., A. Maqbool and R. Akhtar. (2011). Effect of sodium hypochlorite on hematology, histology and liver function of broilers. National seminar and workshop on environmental toxicology and health. Page 33.
- Naz, S., A .A. Anjum., A. Maqbool., M.D. Ahmad., A. Hanif., G. Nadeem., R. Akhtar. (2011). Evaluation of larvicidal effect of local isolates of bacillus thuringiensis against mosquito vectors. National seminar and workshop on environmental toxicology and health. Page 43.
- Akhtar, R., I.Mushtaq and A. Aslam. 2012. Assessment of protective doses of Nigella sativa against chlorine toxicity in broiler chicken. Second International Conference on Holistic Medicine. Page 33.
- Akhtar, R., Study on immunogenicity of in vitro propagated HPS virus in broilers. Third international poultry summit and 6th international poultry conference. Page 81.
- Akhtar, R., Comparative efficacy of recombinant avian influenza H9N2 vectored vaccine in poultry. Third international poultry summit and 6th international poultry poultry conference. Page 82.
- Zahid, B., Muti-ur Rehman., R.Akhtar. 2012. Effect of LIVOL (herbal supplement) on the growth performance and antibody response against IBD virus in broiler chicks. International Poultry Summit & 6th International poultry conference. Page 149.
- Zahid B., A. Aslam., Z.I. Chaudhary., T.Yaqub., M. Rehman., M.Younus., R. Akhtar., S.Alam., N.Sabir and N. Mukhtar. 2013. Detection of Mycobacterium Avium subsp. Paratuberculosis in fecal samples of cattle and buffaloes from Lahore (Pakistan) by acid fast staining, fecal culture and PCR amplification. Page 246. The 10th World Buffalo Congress, Thailand.
Publications in Magazines and News Papers
- Saleem, G., R. Akhtar and N. Mumtaz. “Recent Out Breaks of New Castle Disease”. Agro Veterinary News. October, 2005.
- Saleem, G., R. Akhtar and N. Mumtaz. Early Chick Mortality “Economic Challenge to Poultry Farmer”. Agro Veterinary News. December, 2005.
- Akhtar, R. A. Idress and I. Mushtaq. “Miracles of Honey”. News and Views April 2009.
- Akhtar, R., Z.I. Chaudhary., Y. O. He. Rough Brucella LPS is a magical immune stimulator. Pakistan Today, 1st March, 2011.
Research Papers evaluated
- Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation.
- Postmortem examination
- Lab incharge hematology
- Physical verification of dead stock
- Organized a training on “Hands on training/workshop on histopathology for postgraduates and teachers” w.e.f. 12-06-17 to 16-06-17 at department of Pathology, UVAS.
- Delivered lectures during Mevlana faculty exchange program for Selcuk University, Konya, Turkey w.e.f. 15th to 30th April 2017.
Training and courses attended
- Participated in “International Conference on Livestock Genomics (ICLG) organized by Institute of biochemistry & biotechnology (IBBT), UVAS, Lahore, Pakistan w.e.f. 30-31th May 2016.
- Participated in “How to use Statistical Tools in Research Publications” w.e.f. 09-10th August, 2016 at University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Lahore.
- 14th Asian commonwealth veterinary association conference from 21th-23th September 2005 at PC Hotel Lahore.
- RT- PCR for Diagnosis of FMD Virus from 5th-10th June, 2006 at WTO lab, UVAS, Lahore.
- Operational training on Beckman Coulter Hematology Analyzer on 18th July, 2006 at Department of Pathology, UVAS, Lahore
- Workshop on “Necropsy practice and its vetrolegal implementation animals from 25th-30th June, 2007 at Department of Continuing Education and Extension, UVAS, Lahore.
- Conference on Prion diseases: A threat to livestock and humans in Pakistan 20th May 2008 at UVAS Lahore.
- One day conference on hepatitis on 24th May 2008 at UVAS Lahore.
- Workshop on “Monitoring of mycotoxins/antibiotics residues in feed of animal origin using thin layer chromatography and high performance liquid chromatography” from 30th March to 1st April 2009 at WTO –Quality Operation Laboratory, UVAS, Lahore.
- International Livestock and Poultry Congress from14-15th April 2009 at Aiwan-e- Iqbal Lahore organized by Pakistan Veterinary Medical Association.
- National Symposium and Postgraduate course on the Lung diseases histopathology from 29-30th April 2009 at King Edward Medical University, Lahore.
- “Training on Standard Operating Procedures for the Safe use of Autoclaves” on 7th October, 2009 organized by MSRB, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA.
- Fulfilled mandatory HIPPA requirement for the University of Michigan and the University of Michigan Health System on 30th October, 2009. UMID 4777 6529.
- Regulatory course on applications, AE reporting and eResearch on 3rd February, 2010 organized by Institutional Review Board for Human Subject Research (IRBMED), University of Michigan Medical School Ann Arbor, USA.
- Workshop on “Development of Sustainable and Collaborative Research Networks” from 27-28th September, 2010 organized by Talented Research Exchange Programme-INSPIRE Pakistan.
- Second international training workshop on DNA microarray for gene expression 7- 11th March, 2011, CEMB, Lahore.
- One day research workshop on “Publishing your research” on 2nd April, 2011 organized by Beacon House National University and Institute of Research Promotion, Lahore, Pakistan.
- One day workshop on “Citation and Referencing in Research” on 26th April, 2011 jointly organized by The University of Lahore and Institute of Research Promotion, Lahore, Pakistan.
- Research workshop “Developing a Researcher” organized by School of computer and IT, Beacon House National University and Research Centre for Training and Development at BNU, Lahore w.e.f. 25-26 November, 2011.
- Course Design, Assessment and Micro-Teaching on 03-07 September, 2012 organized by Higher Education Commission, held at UVAS, Lahore.
- English Language Listening and speaking skills on 7th October 2012 held at Fortress Stadium Lahore.
- Workshop on “Pathological Readings” 9-11th October, 2012 organized by 24/7 extension service at University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Lahore.
- National awareness conference on “Tuberculosis a zoonosis” held on April 16 2013 at UVAS, organized by Quality Operations Laboratory, UVAS, Lahore.
- National workshop on “Fight against toxoplasmosis and use of molecular techniques” held on 1st to 2nd September, 2014 at Department of Parasitology, UVAS, Lahore.
- Hands on training on Real time PCR w.e.f 17th to 18th September, 2014 at Quality operational laboratory, UVAS, Lahore.
- Practical training on “Protein profiling of Mycoplasma gallisepticum using SDS-PAGE w.e.f. 23rd to 25th September, 2014, organized by Department of Microbiology, UVAS.
- National workshop on “Advanced diagnostics in Parasitology” w.e.f. 13th to 14th November, 2014, organized by Department of Parasitology, UVAS, Lahore.
- A workshop on “INFORMATICS (Microsoft Office) and ENDNOTE for writing manuscripts” w.e.f. 26-27th December, 2014 at Department of Parasitology, UVAS.
- Participated in two days national workshop on “Scientific proposal writing” organized by Department of Parasitology, UVAS w.e.f 19-20th Feb, 2015.
- Participated in “International symposium on dairy animal reproduction (ISDAR 2015) organized by Society for animal reproduction of Pakistan and UVAS, w.e.f. 30-31th March, 2015.
Training and courses as Resource person
- 8th congress of Association of Public Health Veterinarians and Global Meet on Veterinary Public Health 19th - 21st November, 2008 at Lucknow, India.
- Poster presentation in “International Conference of Bacterial Waterborne and Emerging Diseases in North Africa and the Middle East from 30th Jan 2011 to 4th February, 2011 in Nicosia, Cyprus.
- Deliver a lecture and acted as a resource person in “National Necropsy Workshop 2011” organized by Department of Pathology in collaboration with Higher Education Commission, Pakistan w.e.f. 19th to 24th September, 2011.
- As a resource person in Practical training on “Basic Laboratory techniques in clinical pathology & parasitology, w.e.f. 30th July to 9th August, 2012.
- Presented and organized a workshop “Recent advances in necropsy practice in livestock and poultry and its vetrolegal implications” at Department of Pathology, UVAS, w.e.f. 25-27th Feb, 2015.
- Molecular biotyping of Brucella strains in bovine population of selected Punjab districts (submitted to ALP)
- Isolation and identification of Brucella melitensis in aborted bovine samples using AMOS PCR and immunohistochemistry (submitted to HEC).
- Comparative evaluation of nutritional immunomodulants in virally immunosupressed broiler chickens (submitted to PSF)
- Determination of comparative efficacy of phytochemicals for mosquito control in Pakistan (submitted to Grand Challenges Explorations Bill Gates and Malina foundation round 1)
- A step towards new vaccine approach for brucellosis: a global health intervention (submitted to Grand Challenges Explorations Bill Gates and Malina foundation round 2).
- Ultrasonographic changes and toxinotyping of Clostridium perfringens infected lambs in Lahore district(submitted to PSF)
- Comparative efficacy of conventional vs stapled suturing technique for partial splenectomy in dogs (submitted to HEC).
- Simple, cost effective strategies to control malaria (submitted to Grand Challenges Explorations Bill Gates and Malina foundation round 1)
- “Brucellosis Research, Diagnosis and PCR Commercialization at UVAS, Lahore” at total cost of Rs. 568,925/- (Rs. Five lac sixty eight thousand nine hundred and twenty five rupees only) for a period of 12 months from Al- Abrish Livestock and Dairy Farm, Islamabad.
Approved Research Projects
- “Molecular Biotyping of Brucella Strains in Bovine Population of Selected Punjab Districts” submitted to Pakistan Agriculture Research Council (PARC) on 06-11-2013 for worth 2.63 million is in final stages of approval.
Research Project completed
- Isolation and Identification of Brucella species from aborted bovine samples using AMOS PCR and immunohistochemistry funded by Higher Education Commission, Pakistan worth 0.5 million.
- Won HEC PhD Fellowship under “Indigenous 5000 PhD Fellowship Program Batch III).
- First Pakistani to win G.P Sen Young Scientist award in 2008 from Lucknow India.
- Won HEC International Fellowship under “International Research Support Initiative Program for PhD research at University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA.
Worked as presiding officer in elections of 11-05-2013.
Member at structures gym Gulberg V, Lahore.