Dr. Fatima Ahsan
PhD, Biological Sciences, (University of the Punjab (PU), Lahore, Pakistan & University College London, UK).
BS (Hons.) Microbiology and Molecular Genetics (PU, Lahore, Pakistan ).
Dr. Fatima Ahsan is Assistant Professor in the department of Microbiology, UVAS, Lahore. She earned her PhD degree in 2014 under the Supervison of Prof. M. Akhtar, (Fellow Royal Society), Sitara-e-Imtiaz, Pakistan; Professor Emeritus, University of Southampton, U. K . She has been actively involved in the research afterwards. Her PhD work comprises of recombinant production of human interferon alpha 2b and its various derivatives in highly active forms where one of the derivative made by her being of more active several fold than any of the reported derivative so far. She has also worked University College London, UK where she worked with pseudotyped HIV-1 and Influenza viruses. Before joining UVAS she has worked as PostDoc Fellow in School of Biological Sciences, University of the Punjab, Lahore She has been involved in training several PhD and M.Phil Students as PostDoc fellow. She is expert in recombinant production of enzymes of common use as well. She produced recombinant Taq polymerase enzyme and used it for all of her PhD research. Her other expertise lie in a wide range of multidisciplinary techniques such as Molecular Biology, Cell Culture, Biochemistry related research including the techniques like Western blot analysis, Real-time PCR, FACs/sorting, Lentiviral and retroviral transductions, psedouvirus propagation and bioassays, Bioluminescence (luciferase assay for interferon related assays), shRNA for knockdown assays, Mammalian cell culture, Cloning and Recombinant DNA Techniques, . PCR, SDS-PAGE (1-D and 2-D), ELISA, Protein Expression, purification and characterization, Liquid Chromatography (FPLC,HPLC),Photospectrometery, Fluorescent spectrometry, Refolding of inactive protein from inclusion bodies to make them biologically active, etc.. She has two impact factor publications as first author in well reputed international journals.
- Study of host/virus interactions and role of interferon at different levels of disease control.
TRAINIGS AND COURSES (RESOURCE PERSON)
- 6 days Training Workshop “National Workshop on Recombinant DNA Technology (April, 2017), School of Biological Sciences, University of the Punjab, Lahore.
- 6 days Training Workshop “National Workshop On Recombinant Protein Production And Purification (Nov, 2017)
- International Training Course On Poultry Viral Diagnostic” To Be Held From 05-02-2018 To 12-03-2018 Department Of Microbiology, At City Campus, UVAS, Lahore.
- Passed Graduate Record Examination (GRE, International) (2008) Subject GRE: Biochemistry, Cell and Molecular Biology. Score: 680. (93% percentile)
- Won HEC PhD Fellowship under “Indigenous 5000 PhD Fellowship Program”.
- Won HEC International Fellowship under “International Research Support Initiative Program for PhD research at University College London, UK
- Won President Talent Farming Award (Higher Secondary School Exam)
- Petrillo, C., Thorne, L.G., Unali, G., Schiroli, G., Giordano, A.M.S., Piras, F., Cuccovillo, I., Petit, S.J., Ahsan, F., Noursadeghi, M., Clare, S., Genovese, P., Gentner, B., Naldini, L., Towers, G.J., Kajaste-Rudnitski, A. (2018). Cyclosporine H Overcomes Innate Immune Restrictions to Improve Lentiviral Transduction and Gene Editing In Human Hematopoietic Stem Cells. Cell Stem Cell 23, 820-832.e829. (Impact Factor: 23.29)
- Ahsan, F., Gardner, Q. A., Rashid, N., Towers, G. J., & Akhtar, M. (2018). Preventing the N-terminal processing of human interferon α-2b and its chimeric derivatives expressed in Escherichia coli. Bioorganic chemistry, 76, 294-302. (Impact Factor: 3.23)
- Ahsan, F., Arif, A., Mahmood, N., Rashid, N., & Akhtar, M. (2014). Characterization and bioassay of post-translationally modified interferon α-2b expressed in Escherichia coli. Journal of biotechnology, 184, 11-16. Journal of biotechnology, 184, 11-16. (Impact Factor: 3.18)